Interdependencies Among Components
A complex web of interdependencies exists among the five
components of the HPCC Program; success in each component is
critical to the success of the others. Because of these
interdependencies, maintaining balance among the components is
crucial for Program success. The current balance is designed to
foster that success as rapidly as possible. Some examples of the large
number of interdependencies are given below.
Examples of two-component interdependencies:
- HPCS and NREN
- -- The development of routers for the NREN
component and other advanced component technologies depend on
HPCS research in scalable computing and component technologies.
- HPCS and ASTA
- -- The advanced computing systems with associated
systems software are used by ASTA for Grand Challenge research.
- HPCS and IITA
- -- HPCS systems are used by IITA for National
- NREN and ASTA
- -- ASTA's Grand Challenge research helps to
determine requirements for high performance networks for which
NREN must provide new capabilities and technologies. Examples are
distributed heterogeneous computing, scientific visualization, and the
NSF metacenter research efforts.
- NREN and IITA
- -- NREN provides the networking technology base for
IITA. An example is interactive video.
One example of a three-component interdependency:
- HPCS, NREN, ASTA
- -- Networks developed under the NREN component
are used to access testbeds developed under the HPCS component in
ASTA Grand Challenge research.
An example of a four-component interdependency:
- HPCS, NREN, ASTA, IITA
- -- Some computationally intensive IITA
applications will use systems developed under the HPCS component,
connected by NREN-developed networks, and Grand Challenge
software developed under ASTA. An example is managing
emergencies such as hurricanes.
Two five-component interdependencies:
- BRHR dependencies
- -- BRHR depends on each of the other components,
both individually and in combination, for research subjects.
- BRHR provides training and education in the four other components
and their interrelationships.
- Next section
- Previous section
- Blue Book Table of Contents
- NCO/HPCC Home Page